Sunday, January 28, 2007

Understanding the autistic mind

Here is a lady who appears to have "non-communicative" autism like my son. It is a little long, but well worth taking the time to watch it the whole way through. She uses a Text To Speech program to speak what she types.

She raises some good points, among them:
  1. That non-communicative people still have thoughts, still have a desire to communicate, and can learn to communicate with the rest of us.
  2. From their position, it is us who have the disability. (I've often felt that way. Like my son understands me just fine, it is I who doesn't understand him.)
If you have the opportunity to spend time with an autistic person, be thankful for the time they give you... you know, it's just as difficult for them to spend time with you, listening to you blabber, as it is for you.

Watch it here.

Her website is here.

Well done Miss Baggs!

No comments: